Thursday 22 July 2010

"WOW-WOW" - 22/07/10 ("Words of Wisdom" - Workout of the Week)




Welcome to the first "WOW-WOW". This is the "Words of wisdom" - workout of the week. Don't be fooled by the name, it won't be a weekly post, just when I piece together an interesting workout, one I especially enjoy or just one I fancy sharing.

Today I had a day off so this in my head means "crank it up - you don't have to work afterward". So.. I did.

It was my day for shoulders and I was feeling a little lethargic and "under-cardioed" (I don't think that's a phrase?.. basically I felt lazy). So I went on down to the Gallery gym in Windsor and this is what went down. Try it if you like...

Warm up...
- 5 minutes steady rowing
- Rotator cuff/shoulder warm up (3 sets: 20,15,12 reps - see video below)
- 3 x 1 minute rounds of kettlebell swings varying between 2-hand and 1-hand swings and increasing the weight each minute

The rotator cuff exercises I use are like this dude but with bigger weights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhAPCPAskJU

Exercise one...(Increasing the weights for each set)
- 1 minute treadmill run
- Standing military press (15 reps)
30 SECOND REST
- 1 minute treadmill run
- Standing military press (12 reps)
30 SECOND REST
- 1 minute treadmill run
- Standing military press (10 reps)

Exercise 2...(Increasing the weights for each set)
- 30 seconds rowing
- Arnold press (20 reps)
30 SECONDS REST
- 45 seconds rowing
- Arnold press (15 reps)
30 SECONDS REST
- 60 seconds rowing
- Arnold press (12 reps)

Exercise 3...(using the same weights for each set)
- 90 seconds stepper machine/rolling stairs
- Front raise, lateral raise super-set (12 of each)
30 SECONDS REST
- 90 seconds stepper machine/rolling stairs
- Front raise, lateral raise super-set (12 of each)
30 SECONDS REST
- 90 seconds stepper machine/rolling stairs
- Front raise, lateral raise super-set (10 of each - I was puffing a bit by now)

Exercise 4...the "finisher"...
Shrugs(dumbell or barbell style)... tabata style. 4 minutes my hands won't forget any time soon!
(If you're not sure on what exactly "tabata" is, you can find an explanation in my previous blog post "HELP, I don't have time to train!")

After this workout I was pretty much dripping. My heart was working overtime towards the end of each set - vascular shunt at it's finest (look out for future posts on vascular shunt training). Blood was travelling to the legs, then not only to the upper body, but all the way above the heart and over head. (This kind of workout is not recommended for anyone elderly or with a heart conditions or weak heart of any kind!)

This is a great workout and a quick one too. Great calorie burning and a method which can be applied to most muscle groups or styles of workout.

There are just a few issues to consider before trying it.

Issues to consider...
- Don't do it if you're new to the gym - you'll feel sick for sure!
- Don't do it if, as mentioned above, you are elderly or with a heart condition or weak heart of any kind
- I personally wouldn't do it with a complete leg session. It works well with one or two exercises but ultimately the cardio will impact the performance of the legs and ultimately compromise the quality of the session
- Think about your gym layout and the time that you're going to try it. It won't work if you need to move miles between equipment
- Likewise, if it's busy and someone is likely to use the equipment as soon as you move off it, this won't work either. Probably not one to try at peak time
- Be kind. Adjust the weights etc for the next set, THEN take your 30 seconds rest - you've earned it! If this is new to you allow a little extra time to regain your breath

Don't forget to follow me on www.twitter.com/MichaelD_PT

No comments:

Post a Comment