Friday 29 April 2016

"I NEED to go to the gym" - Speed bumps Vs Hurdles





A healthy lifestyle and effective training and nutrition routines can  be heavily influenced by your perception of problems that may arise and your approach to conquering them.



Picture these two scenarios and how different people react depending on whether or not they see "hurdles" or "speed humps" in front of them.

 Scenario A: You usually finish work at 5.30pm and go to the gym before you go home. Today you finish at 6.30pm. What do you see?
HURDLE? "I'll give the gym a miss today otherwise I won't get home until late!"
SPEEDHUMP?  "Well I don't want to get home late... so I'll go to the gym and do a quick circuit rather than my usual workout."



Scenario B: You usually train on a Thursday after work. You're obliged to go to dinner after work as a colleague is leaving. What do you see?
HURDLE? "I can't go to the gym Thursday as I'm out and I'll also be too hung over Friday to go in the morning."
SPEEDHUMP? "I'm going to have to get up early and go to the gym before work on Thursday morning. I'll probably drink on Thursday evening so I'd better make sure my food is flawless this week."



So whats's the difference? It's two-fold:



1) Some foresight:
Inevitably "things crop up". So, in order to have a successful routine with your food and training it's essential to look ahead each week, understand where changes are necessary to your standard routine and makes the necessary amendments in order to stay on track and compensate for unavoidable deviations. Create a calorie deficit if necessary when you realise that heavy eating and/or drinking is on your schedule. Train at alternative times when you know your usual sessions aren't all possible this week. Without this forward planning things will always "pop up" and there will be opportunity after opportunity to fall away from your original plans for training and nutrition.



2) Language you use with yourself:
Another important thing to utilise is the language you choose to use with yourself. Be positive and be assertive. If you say "I should..." do something, this already suggests that you're unlikely to do it. For instance "I should go to the gym in the morning before work as I'm out in the evening." Part of you is already planning on not going. Instead try: "I need to go to the gym in the morning...." or "I can't eat badly this week as I'm drinking on Thursday" or "I have to do an extra session this weekend."

There needs to be a level of certainty and positivity in your own affirmations. Make your plans and statements absolute.





So each week make sure that you A) Look ahead and understand your week. Then, make sure you see speed humps, NOT hurdles. Then, where changes are necessary make an amended concrete plan that's air-tight and non-negotiable.




Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter (@MichaelD_PT) and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment